Air Quality and Pollen
What is pollen?
Pollen is the male fertilizing agent in plants and consists of microscopic, powdery granules. The types of plants that are pollinated by the wind (grasses, trees, and weeds) are the main culprits for causing allergic symptoms because the pollen is light and travels through the air.
Can allergies be cured?
There is no cure for allergies. Allergies can be controlled and symptoms reduced or eliminated by:
- Avoiding allergens.
- Most pollen is released between 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Keep outdoor activities to a minimum during this time.
- Keep your car windows closed, use air conditioning when possible.
- Remain indoors during peak pollen periods.
- Keep bedroom windows closed during pollen season.
- Avoid wearing shoes in the home.
- Shower before bed, if possible.
- Taking your medicine. Take medications as prescribed by your allergist; it is easier to prevent allergy symptoms than it is to alleviate them.